Wednesday, April 1, 2015

I’ve not only rebuilt a 50 year old Chevy, I’ve rebuilt a life along with it.


I first lost my driver’s license in 1996 due to an alcohol problem. I lost it four more times since then. The 5th and last time I lost it was in 2003 when I also lost something very valuable to me and that was my ability to walk. Due to an ATV accident while intoxicated, I am now a paraplegic. It was obvious that I had a problem with drinking and didn’t care much for any consequences. I wanted to live fast and was totally ready to die young.

Times have changed and I live a very slow life now and fear death. This new found love of life came quickly after I quit drinking alcohol in 2010. Things started looking up and I was getting healthy again, like when I was in my youth. After some long battles with the law and court, I was fortunate enough to earn my driver’s license back. It was extremely hard work but I never gave up. 2012 was a great year as I smiled because I knew I was going to be a legal and responsible driver again.

Life had hit an all new high but I was missing one thing, a vehicle. I had made it this far and I would accept nothing less than a truck that would make me happy. A truck that had soul and would never make it to the graveyard. Because of its body style, the 60-66 Chevy C-10 had been a favorite of mine since I was young and it would be the Chevy C-10 that I would seek. Countless hours were spent online searching for the right buy. It was on Craigslist that my Father finally found one in his area in Carolina. After sending a mechanic there to inspect, the truck was paid for. The former Navy Seal that owned the truck had it loaded on the trailer within days and on his way to sunny Florida where it would take residence in my possession.

First impression of the truck was sky high but it was quickly shot down when it wouldn’t start. I feared the worst but hoped for the best and the best just so happened to be it was out of gas. We gassed it, drove it off the trailer and down the road. Finally, my hard work paid off. My dedication, my determination, my perseverance, my goals and my will power all came together with a huge feeling of accomplishment.

The C-10 came to me in good condition but it just wasn’t mine, yet. Sure it was paid off, sure I owned the key and title but there was just something missing. The connection and bond was made as soon as I started working on her and it would build over time. I would create a truck that would be my style. I would create a truck that I would be happy to drive. I would create a truck that would stand alone. Three years have gone by and the small projects continue with the support of products from LMC. My vision has become a reality.

A daily driver, my C-10 is much more than a truck. It’s a symbol of my life. I load my Ocean Kayak in it on the weekends and take it fishing. The drive to and from the boat ramp are half of the fun of my fishing adventures. The dates that the wife and I take it on make it that much more enjoyable. The comments that come from random people leave a ripple effect of happiness. Each time this truck hits the streets it’s as if it was my first drive. As a kid I would ask my parents to slow down or speed up in order to keep pace with the convoy of classic cars we would see on the road. I’m still very much a kid but I don’t have to ask my parents to speed up or slow down to keep pace with that convoy because I’m usually all up in it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment