Friday, July 25, 2014

Put a little boat in a big boat and take it far out into the ocean.

It was Monday, July 14th and the first of three weekends of Atlantic Red Snapper season had closed as soon as it opened. I had zero plans to make it out this year but after all the volunteer hours I had been putting in lately; I figured I would give it a shot. I needed a break and I knew I deserved a great day of fishing. So I decided to give my friend and local captain, Alex Gorichky a call. Alex said he had a spot open the following Friday and it just so happened to be with another Johnson Outdoors Watercraft teammate. Allen ‘Bushy’ Bushnell is his name and he is from Cali and was here for ICAST. After meeting Bushy I found out we had a lot more in common than just fishing. It’s always great to meet like minded people.

I don’t typically get excited about much but when I rolled out of work on Thursday evening, I did just that. I could feel it in the air. The rain had stopped, wind died down and the sky was starting to clear. I knew both the fishing and weather was going to be perfect the next day. A good night sleep, loading the truck and a 40 minute drive was all that separated me from my first red snapper in 15 years. Technically this was a whole new type of snapper fishing anyway. My legs worked just fine back then and I caught them from the comfort of a large boat.

Not a red snapper but a red grouper from my throwback days of offshore fishing.

With the tiny boats loaded in the bigger boat, Capt Alex and First Mate Jeramie got us to the spot after getting ice and netting live bait. It didn’t take long for me to get into the water and before the 2 minute mark had hit, I was hooked up. Pulled the first snapper up for the morning and right after that I pulled up another, and another and another and……the fishing was on fire and it was obvious that I hadn’t lost my touch.
First hook-up of the day.

Alex had done everything that he could do and I did everything I could do. Together it worked out to be a banner day on the Atlantic Ocean. I feel as if I have been fishing with Alex since I was a kid. We both grew up fishing in the Indian River Lagoon, just in different locations. I’m sure there were many days we had our feet in the same water at the same time. It’s awesome to see someone doing something they are passionate about and be able to provide for their family. I highly recommend checking out Capt Alex and Local Lines Guide Service if you need some help whether it is inshore, nearshore or offshore.
 
I don't always take home many fish but when I do I make it a good one.
 
Every once in a while Mother Nature throws a picture perfect day at you and if you just so happen to have that day off, it makes for an unforgettable time. Friday was one of those days. I’d like to believe it had a little to do with good Karma coming back to me but whatever the case may be, I’m very thankful. I’m also thankful that I can continue to stay sober because a day like this would never have been possible in my old shoes.

At times the wind was nil and the ocean became a mirror. Alex drops a buoy and that marks the spot we stick around.

It was great fishing with you, Bushy. I hope our paths cross again one day.
Thanks to fellow teammate Zack Rece for letting Bushy use his Predator while in town.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment